Saturday, January 8, 2011

A New Year, a Fun Resolution

Hi! I'm Sarah, and I'm proud mommy to Soren (just turned two) and Annika, (two months). We love books. A lot. We wanted to share our love of books with the world.

When the new year rolled around, I toyed with the usual list of possible resolutions - all of which are miserable and exhausting. When a friend on twitter asked for suggestions for a "once a day" resolution project for the new year, I suggested she read a book a day with her daughter, and share it on the internet. She didn't take the suggestion, and I'm glad, because I get to.

Inspired by the homeschool concept of "unit studies, I decided to read books on a theme, at least seven every week, one a day, for 52 weeks.  Our first theme was trains. We hit up the library with Mimi, my mom and wonderful grandmother to my kids, and while Mimi read random books that Soren selected from the shelves, I scoped out a selection of train books.

We are having a ball, for sure.  I hope you'll join us, check out your local library or bookstore, and make a reading challenge for your own family.

I want to inspire you to read, play and explore, no matter how young your kids, and no matter how intimidated you may be by being your kids' most heroic teacher. I also really just like sharing books with friends.

Not only do I plan to share 7 books a week here, but I'll share any fun related crafts, songs, games and preschool-age appropriate fun we have. 

Feel free to make suggestions here, follow the project on twitter, or email preschoolreader@gmail.com. See you around!

Sarah, Soren and Annika

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're reading to your little ones. I know with my boys, the often like to read the same stories over and over and over again. Many children love repetition and that's how they become familiar with many aspects of literacy. So, even if you don't share different books with them every day, have fun reading with them each and every day!

    ReplyDelete